Founder and General Plenipotentiary (retired)
Organization in Special Consultative Status with the United Nations-ECOSOC since 2014
Nominated for the Peace Nobel Prize 2017
To all extraordinary members of the Lazarus Union, Group members as well as friendly organisations and to those who are interested
In light of recent events I draw attention to the following:
Recently there was an article in the newspaper „DER STANDARD” that contains some incorrect statements about the LAZARUS UNION. I am therefore obliged to care for clarification by this public letter because the article contains not only incorrect statements about insignificant items.
In this article the LAZARUS UNION is designated as a „pseudo Knightly Order“ or as a „curious Knightly Order“ although our publication show clearly and unambiguously that the LAZARUS UNION is neither a spiritual nor a secular order but a worldwide charitable organisation that is registered as an association under Austrian law. The newspaper “DER STANDARD” even claims that the LAZARUS UNION is “… part of a right-wing extremist network …”. A shamefulness and a nonsense beyond compare!
The LAZARUS UNION is non-political, pacifist and non-denominational and will remain so!
The „Knighthood of Honour of the Lazarus Union“ that uses a certain symbolism of knightly orders is just a „closer association“ of members who have proved particularly. The statutes confirm this because they specifically say that „…… the LAZARUS UNION is neither a „spiritual order“ or a „specular order“ and that the LAZARUS UNION does not claim or seek such a status for itself.”– excepting the maintenance of knightly traditions and virtues because these things are essential basics of the principles of the LAZARUS UNION and are enshrined in the statutes of its “Knighthood of Honour”. The LAZARUS UNION is an independent association that does not want to be confused with other „Lazarus Formations“ and will not copy them.
Therefore the designation as a „curious knightly order in Austria“ does not correspond with the actual facts.
This (ritual) form of „living community” may seem curious for some people but it should be pointed out that nowadays there are enough people who like to live this form of charity. The statutes of the LAZARUS UNION clearly show that all activities are voluntary and without any force. If you don’t like it you don’t like it and you don’t need to take part in.
NOBODY will be traditionally accolated. Indeed this ceremony just confirms the commitment to the community. The fact that the expectant does not kneel during the ceremony shows that this commitment cannot be compared with (real/supposed) knightly orders.
For everybody who is interested I will be pleased to give an insight into a „world“ that may be strange and will problably stay strange. This world never intends to impair others (being a member of the LAZARUS UNION) is for free and therefore no „ranks“ or „knighthoods“ will be purchased).
Furthermore the newspaper article claims that André S. „got the accolade“. This claim is not true. Indeed he was designated as a Knight Expectant. To examine candidates for the Knighthood of Honour, a period of about two years or more elapses from this admission, until the request can be made to be finally accepted as a Knight of Honour in the Knighthood of the Lazarus Union.
Furthermore I want to point out that would not have gotten the status of a NGO with „„Special Consultative Status“ with the United Nations and would not have gotten the candidacy for the next level „General Consultative Status“ for the UN-committee ECOSOC if we would pursue the methods of self styled orders“.
Finally please allow me to say that the Lazarus Union has absolutely nothing to do with the assassination in Christchurch! It has to be pointed out that there is no connection between the LAZARUS UNION and the horrible incident. The named association is no member of the LAZARUS UNION.
It is very sad that the press decreases and degrades the working of the LAZARUS UNION by such untrue statements. Therefore it would be fair and indicated that the press would correct them accordingly – especially concerning the designation as a “curious knightly order” and “pseudo knightly order”. These designations disparage the LAZARUS UNION in public opinion.
Therefore, the question also arises whether here it was not published intentionally wrong and untruths have been disseminated in order to harm the LAZARUS UNION. Even if the untruth has been published the truth will ultimately prevail. Since the STANDARD was informed about all the things and also confirmed in an email to the LAZARUS UNION “… that our comprehensive chronicle is known there, …” these “mistakes” are all the more worrying.
We are also currently examining whether this incorrect information about the LAZARUS UNION does not also comply with the offense §111 StGB “Defamation” (see legal text in the footnote ), or whether such statements are classified as “press freedom” and “have to be tolerated “
You can trust the LAZARUS UNION!
Senator Prof.h.c. Wolfgang Steinhardt
 §111 StGB – Defamation
No official English version
(1) Anyone accusing another in a manner perceptible to a third party of a contemptible quality or disposition, or accusing of a dishonorable conduct or behavior contrary to morality, which is liable to scorn or discredit him in public opinion, shall be at Imprisonment up to six months or a fine of up to 360 daily sentences.
(2) Anyone who commits the offense in a printed matter, on the radio or otherwise in a way that makes the slander public accessible to a broad public shall be punished with imprisonment of up to one year or a fine of up to 720 daily rates.
(3) The offender should not be punished if the allegation is proven to be true. In the case of paragraph 1, the perpetrator is not to be punished even if circumstances are proven which have given the offender sufficient grounds to believe the allegation is true.
Official German version
(1) Wer einen anderen in einer für einen Dritten wahrnehmbaren Weise einer verächtlichen Eigenschaft oder Gesinnung zeiht oder eines unehrenhaften Verhaltens oder eines gegen die guten Sitten verstoßenden Verhaltens beschuldigt, das geeignet ist, ihn in der öffentlichen Meinung verächtlich zu machen oder herabzusetzen, ist mit Freiheitsstrafe bis zu sechs Monaten oder mit Geldstrafe bis zu 360 Tagessätzen zu bestrafen.
(2) Wer die Tat in einem Druckwerk, im Rundfunk oder sonst auf eine Weise begeht, wodurch die üble Nachrede einer breiten Öffentlichkeit zugänglich wird, ist mit Freiheitsstrafe bis zu einem Jahr oder mit Geldstrafe bis zu 720 Tagessätzen zu bestrafen.
(3) Der Täter ist nicht zu bestrafen, wenn die Behauptung als wahr erwiesen wird. Im Fall des Abs. 1 ist der Täter auch dann nicht zu bestrafen, wenn Umstände erwiesen werden, aus denen sich für den Täter hinreichende Gründe ergeben haben, die Behauptung für wahr zu halten.
Supplement of the Public Letter
28th March 2019
In the context of the public letter I want to inform about the following facts because I was asked as General Plenipotentiary of the Lazarus Union on various occasions during the last few days after publishing the public letter:
- After having learned about the accusations against UNITER e.V. as a preliminary measure we IMMEDIATELY suspended the group membership. After pictutres having been published with „weapons“ together with UNITER-logos, the LAZARUS UNION CANCELLED the membership of UNITER e.V. and of ALL members of the Lazarus Union who are also members of UNITER e.V. without any hesitation. These activities of UNITER e.V. do not agree with our statutes. It is not possible to act more consequently because in the case of an approved breach against the statutes of the LAZARUS UNION there can be no “presumption of innocence” within the LAZARUS UNION. Therefore the LAZARUS UNION cannot be reproached for any failure. It is especially worth noting that in that very moment when UNITER e.V: applied for the group membership it was not predictable for anybody in which direction the activities of UNITER e.V would move. The good and irreproachable name of the LAZARUS UNION was abused and its confidence disappointed.
- On 28th or March parliamentary questions concerning the UNITER-network and its connections to Austria were placed and answered in the meeting of the Austrian National Council within the “Current issue”. The Federal Minister of Interial Affairs Herbert Kickl provided clear answers to the questions and he determined that the LAZARUS UNION (and we were called in particular!) has nothing to do with the UNITER-network. This was clearly determined by the investigating authorities (Federal Office for the Protection of the Constitution and Counterterrorism) and this determination took place together with foreign authorities like MAD and so on.
Therefore the Lazarus Union is fully vindicated and any other deviating accusations against the LAZARUS UNION will fail.
You can trust the LAZARUS UNION!
Senator Prof.h.c. Wolfgang Steinhardt
Video cut of he speach of Secretary of Interior Mr.Kickl:
Vienna, February 2017
I know that the following lines will give you a nasty shock but I have pondered over this for quite some time now and also given one or the other hint in the past!
It is not my Intention to run for the chair of the LAZARUS UNION or any other jobs in the union at the next elections in March 2018.
But I will stand up last time for the next elections to the presidency of the Lazarus Union in March 2018 but I will no be available for a full term (four years)!
The tasks and functions given to me (President, Union Commander, and Grand Master of the Knighthood of Honour) simply are getting too much for me, at the recent air day I noticed that I am not getting any younger as well.
Between 80 and 100 mails occupy me for two to three hours daily. If I do not tend my emails on a daily basis I get a tailback which can hardly be handled at a later time.
In our recent statute modifications this was already taken into consideration and the triumvirate (consisting of three persons: President, Union Commander, and Grand Master of the Knighthood of Honour) was installed. If those functions which I hold alone currently will be distributed over three people the job can be handled more easily by them.
I am currently working for the LAZARUS UNION 365 days a year and four to six hours daily (web page, international contacts, web shop, ordering system, member contacts, visits of various events (102 in 2016), planning and organising of events etc.) and I want to have at last some time for my family and myself.
I want to have again time to visit a museum, a concert or an opera, and to travel to places not connected with the LAZARUS UNION. My wife has supported my union activities for more than twenty years (I am married for 48 years this year) and I think that she does have a right that I spend more time with her again.
Therefore I deeply ask you to think about who can take the positions in the triumvirate and also wants to do so because I will not be available up from 2020 any more, yet I want to introduce the future function owners into their tasks and offices.
Our 1st Vice President, S.E. General CSLI Chevalier Roberto Ortiz has indicated to stand for the position of President of the LAZARUS UNION from 2019, latest 2020. Roberto is my favorite candidate! He is from the very first, knows the LAZARUS UNION very well, and has his own organization with over 3000 members in Brazil. He is the founder of ASLECH and I have full confidence in him. He is young, flexible, internationally acknowledged, and a terrific organizer, living in Brazil. He travels to Europe for business several times a year and is first and foremost a personal friend.
For the first step, Roberto was promoted and appointed at 1. August 2017 as “Commander in Chief of International Operations”
Talk among yourselves. Exchange opinions and try to find an attractive candidate proposal for the chair and the board. If I can assist you with this I will be happy to support you with my best efforts but please take this burden off me!